Sunday, May 08, 2011

Red Cross Day and Dear Margareta Day

Today, on the 8th of May, it is the Birthday of Henri Dunant and hence the World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day. So, I started the morning by lighting a candle for its members and volunteers around the globe giving hope, saving lives and aiding defenseless communities. I'll be forever grateful to the many people I've met and worked with throughout my Red Cross years for repeatedly making me believe in compassion and the beauty of the world.
With Margareta and the world class cellist Sonny Thet.

Today, like any day, I'm also feeling particularily grateful for the dear friendship I've found in Margareta Ackerhans. Today is her Birthday. In the 1950s, she was trained to become a nurse in the Red Cross school in Stockholm. She decided to use her knowledge on a social and structural level. In the 1980s and 1990s, I must say she did some incredible pioneering work as she developed programmes for HIV-prevention, first in Gothenburg and then as an important contributor to the ten year long WHO project in Europe called Health Cities. She is furthermore a devoted expert and spokes woman for gender equality and female sexual and reproductive health issues. She has a true mother earth character and I admire her deeply.

Thanks, Margareta, for all the laughters we've shared along with insightful discussions about life. I'm looking forward to very many more to come. For now, I wish you a lovely Birthday. I congratulate you with this heartfelt music by the fantastic Sonny Thet.

No comments: